South Florida has a vibrant triathlon community, and why not? The weather is triathlon-friendly year-round. Endurance events take place every month of the year, from open water swims in January to 70.3 triathlons in November.
We've covered running in Miami and cycling in Miami elsewhere, so for this triathlete's guide, we'll pay close attention to the best swim spots in South Florida, the must-do triathlons in Miami, the best multi-sport stores in the area and more.
If you're a triathlete heading to Miami, here's what you need to know.
Places to Swim
Hobie Beach on the way to Key Biscayne is a great open water swim spot. The first beach off the Rickenbacker Causeway, Hobie Beach has buoys that parallel the shore about 0.1 miles apart to keep boats away. They double as great markers to show how far you've gone. Triathlon clubs like Team Hammerheads do their weekly group swim at this beach.
This is a bay beach so no worries about overwhelming surf.
Other popular spots:
- Many people go for open water swims off the coastline of Miami Beach.
- The Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex, which houses the International Swimming Hall of Fame, has two Olympic-size pools that are open to the public when events aren't taking place.
Races to Remember
Miami Man is a celebrated triathlon in South Florida. It has both 70.3 and Olympic-distance lengths, with a lake swim, a rural bike ride and a run through Zoo Miami. This award-winning race has been named Florida's best triathlon, and takes place annually in November.
Other well-known races include:
- Ironman 70.3 Miami takes place in October with a bay swim, a bike ride to the Everglades and a run along the celebrated Miami coastline.
- The South Beach Triathlon in April is a beautiful scenic race with an ocean swim parallel to South Beach and a ride and run through famous Miami neighborhoods.
- The Escape to Miami Triathlon in September starts on an island in Biscayne Bay and makes you swim back to shore for a bike ride and run.
Stores to Check Out
Though it might be more widely known for its online store, TriVillage has its retail headquarters in the Kendall neighborhood of Miami at 12013 SW 129 Court. It has an enormous selection of gear and a knowledgeable staff to help you find what you need.
Other triathlon stores include:
- Pro Cycling Triathlon & Fitness Store (2750 SW 26 Avenue)
- Mack Cycle & Fitness (5995 Sunset Drive)
One Last Tip
South Florida also has great open water swim events. A couple to keep in mind are Swim Miami in April at Watson Island and, further north, the Fort Lauderdale Roughwater Swim in January.
More: 8 Tips for Open Water Newbies
Search for your next triathlon.
Discuss This Article